About this role: We have an opportunity for you to join our team as Senior Packaging Engineer supporting our client, a top OTC pharmaceutical manufacturer, in the Philadelphia, PA area. Your impact will be visible as you advance the discipline of packaging engineering by providing technical support in the areas of design, development, testing and production scale-up of new packaging components and systems for one of the world’s largest OTC pharmaceutical companies. This role provides packaging engineering technical expertise and leadership while collaborating with cross functional teams composed of R&D, marketing, marketing research, supply chain, process excellence and other affiliated departments.
Successful Candidates: The client needs a self-starter with the ability to assess situations and act accordingly with minimal supervision. The client environment is fast paced, “get things done” on-time with extreme attention to the quality of the output.
- Plan and execute package engineering assignments concerned with large life cycle management initiatives.
- Engage in the life cycle management of the material and structural aspects of packages, including the integration of the requirements of the product, equipment, Marketing and Supply Chain strategies to ultimately deliver a robust packaging system to the market.
- Lead the development and assessment of the following types of information to support package development and life cycle management initiatives, including but not limited to the following activities: design requirements, definition of the scope of change, packaging and equipment solution proposals, prior knowledge and knowledge gap assessments, risk assessments, test plans, and test results analysis and conclusions.
- Develop, write, gain cross-functional alignment, and route for approval package development documentation that captures the above end-to-end project specific information. (Examples of documentation: Package Component Specifications, Package Development Assessment and Plan documents, Packaging Line Trial Protocols and Reports, Package Development Reports, etc.)
- Lead packaging projects related to such areas as compliance initiatives, brand maintenance or expansion, cost saving initiatives, innovative package development, and environment goals.
- Have technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating assignments.
- Determine and coordinate physical testing to ensure product and package integrity for manufacturing through end users.
- Lead troubleshooting in the resolution of packaging related issues in manufacturing and the field.
- Develop recommendations on general packaging guidelines and standards for processes and functional requirements.
- Execute packaging projects in compliance with government and corporate guidelines.
- Contribute to the company with inventions, new designs, processes or techniques which are lead to the resolution of problems.
- Execute package line trials and package testing.
- Education: BS in Packaging Sciences or Engineering or a related field is required.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of industry experience is required with at least 3 years of Package Development experience. Specific experience within the Consumer, OTC, or Pharmaceutical industry is preferred. GMP experience is preferred. Experience in a highly regulated environment is preferred. Demonstrated technical knowledge related to package materials, equipment, testing and package development is required.
- Physical Demands: This role is based near Philadelphia, PA and may require up to 25% travel based on business needs.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to work in a cross functional environment relating to R&D, Marketing, Operations, Sales, etc is required. Previous experience focusing on managing and/or supporting technical projects required. Proficiency in MS Office applications is required, especially with Excel and PowerPoint. Experience in customer focus, program/project management, accountability, process orientation, and strategic thinking required. Experience in process excellence and process thinking and application of tools is preferred. Six Sigma or Process Excellence certification is preferred. Excellent negotiation skills, ability to effectively work with peers, strong leadership and analytical skills, and proven business acumen are required. Establish project success criteria and monitor activities required.
Ideally, applicants will meet the following needs:
- As an individual contributor, demonstrate leadership of tasks owned in support of project and departmental initiatives.
- Owns work and is accountable for outcomes.
- Ensures project team understands package engineering processes and requirements.
- Act as representative of department to project teams and cross-functional groups.
- Is results and performance driven and demonstrates a sense of urgency.
- Identifies innovative solutions through: intellectual curiosity and prudent risk taking.
- Contribute to talent development, demonstrate collaboration and teaming as well as self-awareness and adaptability